We are now hanging out at the Kelowna Airport, waiting waiting waiting for the fog to lift. Around two hours ago, the fog here got thick enough that the planes can’t land. Of course no planes coming in means no planes going out either. So Kelowna’s little airport is full of people waiting to get to Calgary, Vancouver, and Toronto. Some crankier and more frustrated than others. Personally we are not too worried… We’ll get out eventually, and in the mean-time we’re just relaxing. No point in getting all stressed out over it. Currently the little board says our flight will leave at 12:03, but that’s in less than half an hour, and there are two other flights ahead of us… But time ticks on and there are still no planes getting through the pea soup.
We will update further when there’s any news that’s fit to report. For now, we hope you are all safe and warm and happy out there, and if you are having any travel delays of any kind, we hope it’s not stressing you out too much.
Ciao for now!
UPDATE: An hour after our previous posting, and our flight has now been cancelled… They told us all to go home and call their 1–800 number from there to get re-booked… However, home for us is Calgary. That flight was cancelled too. For now, we’ve collected our luggage and are perched in the airport lounge, Brian on-hold with West Jet… Hoping we can get out today. Of course being Christmas, we may be here another night… But we’re thinking positively. Cross your fingers for us!!!
UPDATE: Brian’s patience on hold with West Jet has paid off. We have been re-booked on a flight at 8:15 tonight. This is EXCELLENT news. Yes, that means we have 7 hours to kill, and yes that means we won’t get into Vancouver until much later than we had hoped, and this is essentially a ‘lost’ Vancouver day, but we’re not too concerned. Truly, the bottom line is we are safe and healthy and warm, and therefore nothing much has gone wrong. Just please keep those fingers crossed that our flight tonight stays ‘on-track’… As we have learned today, a booked flight is not necessarily a done-deal. Encouragingly, though – the fog has lifted ever-so-slightly – even if it has been replaced by snow.
Better luck this time around???